Residents Businesses Visitors Government Search Directory Home
Office of Community Development

222 St. Louis St.
Seventh Floor
Baton Rouge, LA 70802
(225) 389-3039 Office
(225) 389-3939 Fax
(225) 389-3082 TDD
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. M-F

Monika Gerhart
Urban Development Director

Line Break
Rebuilding Healthy Homes After Flooding
Line Break
Line Break
Section 3 Program Opportunities
Line Break
Community Partners
Line Break
Plans and Reports
Line Break
Fair Housing
Line Break

Office of Community Development

Thanks for visiting our site. By browsing our pages you'll find important information on programs and projects our community undertakes to improve the quality of life for all.

The "Housing Programs" pages contain information on an array of programs and services offered through the Office of Community Development designed to improve existing housing and develop new housing opportunities for persons of low to moderate income in our community.

In our "Community Partners" pages you'll find a listing of organizations in our community involved in affordable housing or community development/neighborhood improvement activities.

Our "Plans and Reports" section provides links to our five year "Consolidated Plan," previous year's "Action Plans" and other reports prepared by the Office of Community Development.

The "Fair Housing" section provides useful links regarding the Federal Fair Housing Act and related information including how to tell when unfair housing practices have occurred and how to report violations.

OCD's "Homeless Assistance" pages contain everything from listings of local emergency shelters to "Continuum of Care" program information.   

We want to make our pages as useful and informative as possible. Let us know how you feel about the information provided on this site and your suggestions for future improvements.

Thanks again for stopping by and we hope to see you back again soon!


To provide decent housing opportunities, improved living environments and expanded opportunities for persons of low and moderate income.


I am elderly and my house needs to be repaired. Who do I contact?

Contact the Office of Community Development at 389-3039 and ask to speak to the Intake Specialist.

When it rains my roof leaks. Can the City-Parish help? 

The Office of Community Development has a roofing program for low and moderate income households.  To see if you qualify call 389-3039 and ask to speak to the Intake Specialist.

I own rental property and need to have it repaired. Who can I talk to? 

Call 389-3039 and ask to speak to the Program Analyst in charge of rental projects.

How can I get financial assistance to provide a public service to low and moderate income persons?

The Office of Community Development publishes  Requests for Proposals during the year. To be placed on the waiting list for proposals or to check on when the next funding round is call 389-3039 or check

I am homeless, where can I go for help?

There are several places in Baton Rouge for you if you are homeless. There are shelters for families living together, single individuals (men and women), battered women, the mentally ill, persons with alcohol and substance abuse problems. You may call Louisiana 2-1-1 to find the shelter that meets your need.

Where can I get a copy of the City-Parish Consolidated Plan?

The City-Parish Consolidated Plan is available in all public libraries as well as the LSU and Southern university libraries and on the City-Parish web site under the Office of Community Development’s page. Also a copy may be obtained (on CD-ROM) by calling 389-3039.