Residents Businesses Visitors Government Search Directory Home
Department of Public Works

DPW Home

Frequently Asked Questions
Who is responsible for enforcing building codes and how do I report a house that is below code?

The Building Inspection Division is responsible for enforcing building and zoning codes. This is generally done through the permit process, either during the plan review stage or the field inspection phases.

If you would like to report a house that is below code, please call the 3-1-1 Call Center,  (225) 389-3090 or submit online a Citizens Request for Service. They will report the concern to the Complaint Section which handles complaints regarding potential building and zoning violations. This section investigates each complaint to determine its validity. If there is a legitimate code violation, the property owner is notified to have the violation resolved. If the violation still exists, action is taken through the Parish Attorney's Office and the individual is brought to court to allow a judge to determine a means of resolution.

Who do I call about a sinkhole or cave-in?

To report sinkholes or cave-ins, please call the 3-1-1 Call Center, (225) 389-3090 or submit online a Citizens Request for Service. They will forward the concern to DPW's Bridge and Canal Division that handles the cleaning of roadside ditches, drainage canals in public servitudes and rights of way.

Please note:  These jobs are scheduled on a priority basis depending on the severity of the complaint. Repairs and storm drain cleanings are scheduled based on possible liability concerns. Sinkholes and cave-ins in the street and front yard are normally a high priority.

The sewer pump station near my residence is causing an odor. Who do I call?

Complaints dealing with sewer odors and pump station sites are the responsibility of the Wastewater Treatment Division and that telephone number is (225) 389-2070 during normal working hours. If the problem occurs after hours, weekends or holidays then the dispatcher needs to be contacted and she will contact the appropriate person to handle this problem.


How do I get involved in recycling?

Crews pick up recycling every week. Participants in the curbside program receive a cart from the Recycling Foundaton. Call the Recycling Foundaton at (225) 925-3442, to receive a recycling cart and information on how to recycle call the Recycling Office at (225) 389-5194.